Friday, December 3, 2010

Day 1

I have a sense of humour...I have to.........

So, my day started at about 4:30 am because my internal clock is so messed up. About 2:30 am Jack and Shelby, who were sleeping on the bed, heard a noise and started barking which made both of us just about jump out of our skins. It was dark and quiet at 4:30 am except for the occasional barking dog which in turn made Jack and Shelby bark. Our house is made of concrete so you know what that means. Every bark echos.

So, we had a few errands to run today.

I needed lightbulbs. So, I had to go to the hardware store. (thought I would combine this with my trip to the pool supply store) Now, men and hardware stores are a bad combination. Naturally Ross spies the BBQ 5000 model in stainless steel with buttons and knobs for everything. Ross negotiates a price while I am sitting in the rental car with the dogs (car was running). The longer he took, the lower the price on the BBQ went. At one point I had to go and see what was taking so long but he was still in negotiations. 5% discount, the 10% discount...every 10 minutes or so they knocked off more money. We now own a BBQ but haven't figured out where to get the propane tank filled...tomorrow's mission.

I had to get the pool cleaning equipment purchased. We went to the pool supply store at about 10 am. Of course, nothing we needed was there but where told to come back around noon and everything would be there. True to the nice lady's word, everything was there, the bill was written and all I had to do was surrender my money. Mission accomplished.

I had to get the cable tv working. Apparently, while we were away, the cable was switched to digital. We were advised on trip #1 that we needed to bring back our cable box and switch it for a digital one. So, when I made my return trip to the pool supply store, I went back to the cable company with my cable box (Trip #2). BIG MISTAKE...lmao. The nice lady who receives the old boxes was gone for lunch. This is about 12:30...she's gone for lunch until 3. So at 3 pm I arrive to get my new cable box. Mission accomplished.

Jack and Shelby ran away today while I was gone. Ross was re-introduced to running down the road. BBQ delivery guys where suitably entertained.

Saw a guy driving his motorcyle (appropriate amount of back exhaust coming from tailpipe)down the highway carrying a roll of corrugated metal about 5' wide balanced on his legs.

Ok so the funniest thing I saw today: Sosua has a new set of traffic lights that has a timer to tell you how many seconds you have to get through the green light, how long the red light will be etc. So there are thousands of motorcycles in the DR. They are all waiting at the red light....the light turns green and it is like the green flag being waived at the Indy 500...it is like a hive of bees buzzing the the queen says GO...to hell with the cars trying to move....its a sea of smoke and moving bikes....

So, day one...I'm sitting drinking wine and blogging. Just had a skype call from Krista...

It's only 4:30 pm......

the world is a great place to be....but better in the DR!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment