Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Sparky

Well, this last week has been relatively quiet. Our neighbours in Casa 6 were getting settled and we spent some time showing them around and giving them a few pointers. Went to Cabarete on Sunday for a couple of beverages and a snack on the beach. Ross did some sightseeing. Got a couple of good slaps.

Our pool repair is almost complete. Just a little finishing work and it should be good to go. Just have to vacuum it and get the water filled and chemicals added. I was a little concerned when the plumber had a hammer and a chisel and there were some very large chunks of concrete flying, a huge hole in my hard...but I must say that I am pleasantly surprised with the results.

It's been very, very hot and dry here. No rain to speak of in about six weeks now. Everyone you talk to says how unusual it is for this time of year. We did have some angry thunder yesterday but it didn't pan out into anything.

So, today I had a complete mental fart. Okay, I really screwed up. No, I didn't smash the car up.

I decided that today would be a good day to burn some dead branches and trees. Looking back on that decision...it really wasn't a very good one to make.

I started our subdivision on fire. Not just a small smoking fire but a raging inferno. I burned almost everything in site on one lot. It took five of us with buckets and garden hoses to put it out.

Ross asked me as I struck the match and started the paper burning if I had the garden hose ready "just in case". No sooner were the words out of his mouth when the inevitible happened...the wind picked up. Needless to say, we had a few frightening moments but all was well.

We now know the lay of the landscape in that lot. Not pretty I might add. There were empty paint cans, beer bottles, wood, dead tree branches and even an old pair of shoes!

It actually turned out to be a good thing...no one can sneak through that long grass anymore!

Just call me Sparky!

No comments:

Post a Comment