Monday, February 7, 2011

hmmm

I went to Puerto Plata last Thursday with a lovely Dominican lady, A'Myra. She is a seamstress. She knows Puerto Plata.....and where the really good fabric store is...YEAH FOR ME! Now don't get too excited for me. Without her, I'd never find the place again!! LOL Old Puerto Plata was so very interesting...very old wooden buildings painted like a rainbow...very, very narrow streets, in fact some were so narrow the SUV was squeezing it's way through! I'm hoping to make another trip with her soon so I can start learning my way around.

Now you are probably wondering why I would have a seamstress sew for me, but alas...I don't have my sewing machines here so I have to pay someone to sew for me. We picked out some lovely fabric for bedroom basement curtains. When Hailey arrives (in 12 days) we will pick out paint and get that room finished. Ross has hung ceiling fixtures so just needs a few homey touches yet.

Tomorrow is the "big" day. We will officially harvest our first banana hand (that's the whole stock thingy). I'll be the cutter...Ross will be the catcher. We guestimate that the "hand" will weigh about 60 - 70 lbs. Once the bananas are off, we will then cut down the remaining tree as it will die anyway. No fear though...I have two more hands growing and five more trees that are well on their way.

We have met our new neighbours that bought Casa Numero 6 across the road from us. Absolutely lovely Polish immigrants, accent and all...good salt of the earth type of people. We have been offering them all sorts of advice and think we maybe overwhelmed them the first two days. We had them here for dinner and they reciprocated the next day by cooking dinner for us - fantastic meal was prepared. They hope to live here full time in the next five years or so.

We celebrated (oh yeah...NOT) Superbowl Sunday at our local watering hole. Ross enjoyed the game and taunting the Montreal contingency. I wish I had brought a laptop or pencil to stab myself in the ear with as I was so bored (anyone who knows me well knows that I hate football).

We have finally had some monsoon rains the last day or two. I don't have to water the trees. It rains for about 10 minutes...the sun comes out for an hour....it rains for about 10 minutes...You get the picture.

BUT I DON'T HAVE TO SHOVEL IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment