Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Volunteer Work

I started some volunteer work today at the local animal shelter. They are a not for profit society similar to the SPCA in Canada excepte they are extremely under funded and unorganized. Their intentions are absolutely fantastic, however, without more volunteers and sponsors it will remain so. They have some wonderful dogs and absolutely adorable puppies. Ross almost came home with a little brown, black and white lab cross. I had to drag him away. I met some really great people today as well and got a bunch more insight into living in the DR.

The most important lesson I learned today: never kill a Dominican's chicken. They will kill you. It's like it's their national bird or something so you don't touch. We joke about killing the rooster that lives not far away that starts crowing about 5 am but I was cautioned to not even think about touching it. Dammit! I hate that rooster!

I'm going back on Friday to the shelter to help organize and clean the office and whatever else they throw my way. Ross is going to come and walk the dogs and play with the puppies.

We've been busy working in the yard. I mowed the lawn for the first time yesterday. Thank god for the neighbour's lawnmower that had an automatic drive on it. Even so, I have muscles that are sore that I didn't know that I had. All this outdoor work is making for one awesome tan. No tanning bed required here!!

I bought a rake today. I am so excited to be able to gather up all the crap from along the fences and I won't have to step in the fire ants. I have been searching for a rake for six weeks now and finally found one at Freddie's Hardware Store. Another trick I've learned: fire ants don't like baking soda. You feed it to them, they take it home to the family, feed them and they DIE. Tough life.

Cure for mosquito bites: organic molasses (another tidbit I picked up today). One tablespoon, once per day will supposedly stop the itching. Takes about two weeks to be effective. So, my plumbing will be cleaned out, my iron levels boosted and hopefully, no more itching! Probably have to stick close to home for the first couple of days.

The quad and chain hasn't come out yet to move the tree that Ross cut down. This means I haven't been able to play with gasoline and fire yet. Maybe tomorrow when the construction crew is here we can get that tree moved and burned! Ross was working on chopping down another tree today but it's a biggie so it may take awhile.

So, I was reading about all the snow that BC has been getting as well as other parts of western Canada. I'd really like to say I miss that weather but I'd be lying. We had not a cloud in the sky all afternoon with a lovely breeze blowing. Just leaves us wondering when visitors will begin to arrive :)

1 comment:

  1. Just a thought Colleen.... maybe you shouldn't talk about the 5 am wake-up rooster, the fire ants and all the insect bites & rain.... if you want visitors!

    Penny

    ReplyDelete